Skiathos Mystery honored with the Tourism Award 2016 for Architecture and Interior Design!
The award is in the category Bioclimatic architecture / integration landscape.
It is a great pleasure to be acknowledged for our effort to create a luxurious yet green hotel. We strongly believe in compatibility between luxury and ecology. Since, our hotel is a brand new construction, it was a challenge for us to apply all the latest developments in green technology and maintain local traditional architecture at the same time.
Skiathos Mystery is a complex of 10 self-indulging Suites built in a natural landscape of an Olive Garden at the top end of Skiathos town. All the Suites are spacious ranging from 50 to 75 square meteres. They all offer views to hotel’s garden and pool and also to the green surrounding mountains and the red tiled roofs of Skiathos town. As a result, although, Skiathos Mystery is close to the town centre, the guest enjoys only the relaxing and calming views of the surrounding nature.
The materials used for the construction were chosen after taking into account the local traditional architecture. So, stones were used for wall decoration which originated from the excavation of the land itself. The stone decoration is aligned with the remnants of an old quarry, located right next to Skiathos Mystery. The roofs were covered with red tiles following the local morphology.
A strong preference was given in wood and this natural material predominates indoors and outdoors. According to local typology, wooden balconies were made both at the front and the rear of each Suite, resulting in a airy and sunny residence. Apart from wood, marble from Pelio was also used for flooring and decoration.
Regarding the bioclimatic aspect of our building, we shall mention the basic principles in design and construction that lead to a hotel with minimal energy consumption.
Thermal insulation of the building envelope: the whole building is covered by a “shell” which protects it from temperature fluctuations.
Solar heating system covering the needs in warm water of all our guests.
High performance windows
Extra insulation in walls
Energy-efficient lighting - LED lights. At night, security lighting is activated by photocells.
Inventor air conditioners
Last but not least, we apply a green policy in the daily operation of all departments. Recycling, using of non-toxic cleaning products, re-using of rain water, eco-friendly policy for laundry are some of our actions.
«ΦωτοΝερόΠετρα» αποκαλούσε την Ελλάδα ο Οδυσσέας Ελύτης, παρατηρώντας πως τα τρία γεωλογικά και κλιματικά στοιχεία που τη χαρακτηρίζουν είναι το φως, η θάλασσα και ο βράχος, από τον οποίο είναι καμωμένα τα νησιά του τόσο αγαπημένου του Αιγαίου. Ωστόσο οι Σποράδες φαίνεται πως δεν «συμφωνούν» με αυτή την προσέγγιση, καθώς το ανάγλυφό τους δεν έχει συγγένεια με τη βραχώδη υφή των Κυκλάδων, αφού είναι κατάφυτες από δέντρα και σε κάποιες περιοχές πνιγμένες στο πράσινο.
Greek Easter - Pascha - is a wonderful opportunity to visit Skiathos and experience the spiritual atmosphere and the sacred rituals, as it is the most important celebration of Christianity. Easter week is the last week of April this year, meaning the weather is very pleasant neither cold or too hot. The nature is also blooming in spring, thus it is the perfect time for hiking or traveling around.
What is so special about Skiathos Easter Holidays is that they imply the monastery rituals of Mount Athos. Particularly, Good Friday is the most mournful day for all Christians. The faithful attend church with devoutness from early in the morning to decorate Epitaph with flowers. Τhe procession of the epitaph takes place at 4am on Holy Saturday through the narrow streets of Skiathos town, around the old port and the Bourtzi islet. At 05:30 the litany returns to the church and the faithful shout “Open the gates!”. The senior priest opens the gate of the church banging them hard and this action represents the descent of Jesus Christ to the Underworld. At dawn, people return home from church only to go back a few hours later for the First Resurrection service. The church's bells are calling Christians to come and celebrate the victory of life over death by ringing in a joyous way.
Easter Sunday is the most festive day in Christianity full of joy and excitement. According to the tradition, lamb is prepared on the spit. The Easter table is set and people merrily rejoice, eat and drink with their family until late at night.
Πολλοί είναι οι χαρακτηρισμοί που έχουν αποδοθεί στη Σκιάθο, το νησί με την απαράμιλλη ομορφιά που συνδυάζει πυκνή βλάστηση, γαλάζιες ακτές και έντονη νυχτερινή ζωή, όμως κανείς δεν είναι τόσο ταιριαστός όσο «το νησί με τα ρόδιν’ ακρογιάλια», όπως τα περιέγραψε ο κορυφαίος λογοτέχνης Παπαδιαμάντης στην ομώνυμη ηθογραφική νουβέλα του. Και είναι αλήθεια πως το νησί διαθέτει πολλές παραλίες, έτσι ώστε ο παραθεριστής να κάνει κάθε μέρα μπάνιο σε διαφορετικό μέρος.
It is tiny yet perfect. Although, Skiathos has minute proportions, it is an exciting destination offering much more than 5 reasons to visit again and again, year after year.
1) Is it possible? More than 60 amazing sandy beaches in a 44 km (27 mi) coastline. It is practically one for every mood or preference. If you would rather be in a well-organized yet perfectly clean beach, you can choose between Koukounaries, Kanapitsa, Troulos, Agia Paraskevi, Vromolimnos. Are you in the mood of being alone in a remote place and just cherish the nature and the warm sun? Why don’t you visit Aselinos, Stigero, Kalamaki, Glyfoneri or Lalaria? Do you fancy a good party and dance or better swim to the beat? Then Big Banana is calling for you and your friends.
2) You will love the pretty Skiathos town with its endless alleys full of unique shops, bars and restaurants. The traditional architecture creates pictures that resemble a postcard. Small whitewashed houses with wooden windows and balconies and red tiled roofs are characteristic. The flowerpots with the colorful and aromatic flowers spray your memories with vivid colors and sensual perfumes.
Eating out is a delight, shopping is exclusive and drinking is fun!
3) Beautiful place, beautiful people, equals to memorable holidays. The locals are friendly and kind. You will have the opportunity to experience Greek hospitality and you will feel safe even at the late hours.
4) Skiathos is an ideal destination for a religious trip, as religion and faith are everywhere. Skiathians have impressed their Christianity throughout the island and over the centuries, building monasteries and churches of significant religious and architectural import. There are more than 50 churches and monasteries in this small island. The most remarkable monument is Evangelistria Monastery, an 18th century monument built on a hillside surrounded by trees. Another sacred monastery is Panagia Eikonistria or Kounistra built in 17th century after the miraculous appearance of Virgin Mary's icon on a tree nearby. The Catholicon has remnants of really old frescoes. The monastery is located in a pine tree forest.
5) Skiathos offers new and exciting experiences in terms of natural attractions and physical activities. You may hike the lush mountains, cycle around the island or visit Lake Strofilia. At your most energetic days, join an entertaining water sport club and have some beach fun! But honestly, if resting is your priority, do it at Bourtzi islet or Kastro cliff and let your gaze wonder in the blue sky and sea